Curriculum Vitae for BAHATI Satir Omar,last updated in March 2015
Languages spoken: Kinyarwanda: Fluent English: fluent French: Medium Swahili: Fluent Luganda: Fluent
National Union of Disabilities’ Organizations of Rwanda. PO Box 2589
Kimihurura, Gasabo, Kigali Rwanda
Cellphone:+(250) 788 516 641 /+(250) 728 516 641
Postgraduate studies: 2014-2015 Masters of Science in Project Management (Msc PM) Jomo Kenyatta University (JKUAT)
Tertiary level: 2009 – 2013 Bachelors Degree of Education (B.ED) Kigali Institute of Education (KIE),
Secondary Education: 1998-2003 Advanced level (A’Level) Secondary School Certificate in
Apred Ndera Secondary School, Kigali Rwanda
Primary School: 1995-1996 Remera Academy, Kigali Rwanda.
1991-1994: Abby & Abu primary school Masaka, Uganda.
– October 2013, Training on Fundraising and Resource Mobilization organized by
– December 2012, Attended the Training of Trainers workshop in Disability Equality
Training (DET) in Musanze, Rwanda organized by JICA
– November 2012, Adolescents and Youth Sexual & Reproductive Health Champion for
East Africa organized by the EAC and Minisante, Hilltop Hotel, Kigali
– July 2012, Media Training, King Fahd Palace Hotel, Dakar, Senegal. Sponsored by OSI
for the AYWDN Steering Committee Members
– January 2012, Sports workshop for Visually Impaired and the Physically Disabled, Huye, Southern Province. Sponsored by the Danish Sports Organisation of the Disabled
– December 2011, Strategic planning training, Lukenya, Manzooni Lodge, Nairobi, Kenya.
– May 2011, Expert Peer Educators Training on HIV&AIDS to the Visually Impaired in Francophone Africa, organised by the African Union of the Blind and the Benin Association of the Blind, Cotonou, BENIN
– August 2010-March 2011 Business Fundamentals online Training, by Hadley School for the Blind(USA)
– Feb-Apr 2010, A nine weeks Online Training on Disability, Sexuality and Rights Training (DSRT), Online course by organised by CREAWORLD, NewYork USA, Visit: http://www.creaworld.org
– Jan – Dec 2010, One year training on social entrepreneurship at the
International Institute for Social Entrepreneurs/Kanthari (IISE), Kerala – South India www.kanthari.org
– December 2009, a one week training on Grade II Contracted Braille by Ministry of
Education of Rwanda and the Kigali Institute of Education (KIE).
– May 2009, Training on Advocacy and Lobbying for the Visually Impaired Youth by
Rwanda Union of the Blind (RUB)
– April 2009, Trainer of trainers on HIV&AIDS amongst Persons with disabilities, organised by PEPFAR/Handicap International/Umbrella of Disabled Peoples organisations against HIV&AIDS and the National AIDS Control Commission
– November 2008, Adapted technology training on ICT and introduction to JAWS Screen Reader, Kigali Institute of Education, Kigali Rwanda organised by the Rwanda Union of the Blind (RUB) and the World Bank Rwanda.
– September 2007, a 2 weeks training on management of Sport and Recreation for the Visually impaired, Cape town South Africa organised by the League Of Friends Of the Blind (LOFOB) AFUB and the Danish Association for the Blind (DAB)
– January 2007, a one month Induction training of Social Workers of RUB on Blindness and Orphanhood, organised by the Rwanda Union of the Blind (RUB) Kigali, Rwanda
– June-December 2005, a 6 month Rehabilitation Training in Mobility and Orientation, Braille literacy, Activities of Daily Living (ADL) and Life skills at the Masaka Resource Center for the Blind (MRCB), Kigali Rwanda.
– December 2013, attended a sub regional consultative meeting on the African Chatter on
Human and People’s Rights, Entebbe, Uganda
– December 2013, attended the 1st Sub Regional Committee Meeting for IBSA Africa, Nairobi, Kenya
– November 2013, attended the 17th International meeting for Dialogue for Social
Entrepreneurs (DSE), Trivandrum, Kerala-India
– September 2013, attended the International Conference on Population and Development
(ICPD) for African youth, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
– August 2013, attended the 9th General Assembly for the International Blind Sports
Federation (IBSA), Copenhagen, Denmark
– November 2012, Represented NUDOR in the Monitoring Workshop on the Implementation of the UNCRPD among EAC member countries organised by EDAN, Arusha, Tanzania
– May 2011, Africa-Wide Youth with Disabilities Convening on UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (UNCRPD) and establishment of the African Youth With Disabilities Network (AYWDN), Lukenya, Manzooni Lodge, Nairobi, Kenya
– Dec 2008, Attended the 15th International Conference on HIV/AIDS and other sexual transmitted infections (ICASA), Le Meridien President, Dakar Senegal
– December 2008, Attended the 3rd African Campaign on HIV and AIDS and Disability, by the African Decade of Persons with disabilities, Dakar Senegal
– July-September 2008, Knowledge on Democracy and Development Training for Visually
Impaired youth, Chez Johnson Hotel, Kampala Uganda organised by the African Union of the Blind (AFUB), Uganda National Association of the Blind (UNAB), and the Swedish Association for the Blind (SRF/SHIA)
March 2015 up to date: Capacity Building and Disability Mainstreaming Officer at the Umbrella of Organizations of Persons with Disabilities in the fight Against HIV&AIDS (UPHLS) www.uphls.org
October 2014 up to date Freelancer as a Debriefer in the Dialogue in the Dark business workshop organized by NUDOR and its stakeholders
January 2013 to February 2015, Project Officer at the National Union of Disabilities’ Organizations of
Rwanda (NUDOR) visit www.nudor.org
December 2012, Disability Accessibility Auditor in Kamonyi, Muhanga and Ruhango Districts, National Council of Persons with Disabilities (NCPD)
January 2012, Data Collector on SGBV among PWDs in Kigali City, Handicap International
May-December 2009 A trainer of PWDs Peer Educators on HIV and AIDS from the Districts of Bugesera, Gasabo, Gisagara, Kicukiro,Kamonyi, Nyarugunga and Nyarugenge,, by Rwanda Union of the Blind/Handicap International/UPHLS/PEPFAR
Jan 2007- Dec 2008. Social Worker in the blind Orphans’ project: Rwanda Union of the Blind
2015 Helping in the mobilization of People Using Wheelchairs to get organized and form a strong organization
January to December 2014, from a scratch, I helped People with Albinism to form their organization called OIPPA and the Women with Disabilities Organization called UNABU. Today these organizations are registered temporarily.
November 2013 to November 2017, Nominated as the SecretaryGeneral for the International
Blind Sports Federation (IBSA) Africa Region
January 2013 up to date: President of an NGO Uwezo Youth Empowerment (UWEZO) for the empowerment of children and youth with disabilities.
December 2012 upto date, Nominate to be the National Coordinator for Disability Equality
Training (DET) Forum Rwanda
December 2012 up to 2016, Re-elected as the Blind Youth President in the Rwanda Union of the
October 2012 upto date, Coordinating the Rwanda Deafblind Project which is a joint project between Rwanda Union of the Blind, Rwanda National Association of Deaf Women and Rwanda National Union of the Deaf.
July 2011-2015 Elected as the Vice Coordinator of the National Council of Persons with
Disabilities in Gasabo District, Kigali City
May 2011 up to date: Steering Committee Member in the African Youth With Disabilities
Network (AYWDN) representing Rwandan Youth with Disabilities.
January 2011 to December 2012, President of the Association of University Students with
Disabilities (AHUR) at Kigali Institute of Education.
Dec 2010, One week volunteering at Enable India Organisation, Bangalore, India.
August- September 2010, A Two months Internship with DonBosco Centre under the hosting of
Make A Difference Organisation (MAD), Cochin, Kerala State, South India.
April 2010, member of the team that organized a 1 day summer camp for children with disafblindness at IISE in Trivandrum, Kerala, South India
2009, Vice chairperson of the Association of students with disabilities at Kigali Institute of
2008 Course leader in the Knowldege on Democracy and Development training for the Visually
Impaired Youth for 2 weeks Kampala Uganda
2007 upto date, Elected as the Chairperson of RUB Youth Wing
2005 up to date, Volunteer in different RUB Projects.
2008, Secretary in the National Federation of Persons with Disabilities (FENAPH) (Gasabo
District, Kigali City
2008, Training Visually Impaired Youth on HIV/AIDS with Handicap International
December 2007- July 2008 coordinator of the ACCENTUS HIV&AIDS awareness project for Visually Impaired in the Eastern Province, Rwanda Union of the Blind funded by Handicap International
Initiatives/Social entrepreneurship experience
In 2010, I initiated UWEZO Youth Empowerment and got it registered in January 2013.
UWEZO works toward the promotion and empowerment children and youth with disabilities from various backgrounds.
– skills in project management, needs study analysis, proposal writing, fundraising, public speaking, social marketing, event management budgeting and many more (Social Entrepreneurship)
– mobility and orientation
-developing training manuals
– Play and coach different sport and recreation for visually impaired people.
– Skills and knowledge in training PWDs on HIV/AIDS.
– Conflict management skills
– Skills in using Internet Social Networking sites
– Training visually impaired adults in different activities such as Activities of Daily Living
– Skills in Mobility and Orientation.
– Skills in voluntary working
– Skills in Business Entrepreneurship
– Skills in MS Office application(word, excel, powerpoint, publisher, Project Office), Assistive technologies like ScreenReaders free open source software like LINUX Ubuntu, Website designing and blogging
– Skills in doing advocacy, sensitisation and awareness raising for the Rights of PWDs using the
UNCRPD as a tool.
– Leadership skills and communication skills in 7 languages
– Skills in addressing disability and sexuality issues
Skills and experience in field working since 2007
Uganda, Kenya, DR Congo, Ethiopia, Benin, South Africa, India, Tanzania, Burundi, Danemark and Senegal